Are you having sleeping problems?
Many Australians suffer from sleeping problems. If you answer yes to 3 of the following questions, you’re probably sleep deprived:
- Do you ever get tired in the middle of the day?
- Do you ever wake up with morning back pain?
- Do you need an alarm clock to wake up?
- Do you hit the snooze button during the week?
- Do you have trouble remembering or concentrating?
- Do you get tired and stressed out at work?
- Do you need a nap to get through the day?
- Do you often fall asleep watching TV?
Try some of these tips to help achieve a healthier, more rejuvenating sleep:
- Establish a bedtime ritual – it’s helpful for good sleep
- Keep your bedroom cool and maintain a relaxing atmosphere
- Reduce caffeine intake throughout the day and avoid it altogether four to six hours before bedtime
- Stop smoking. Reduce Nicotine intake during the four hours before bed, and don’t have any at least 45 minutes before bed
- Reduce stress as much as possible. If you toss and turn, get up. Try and write down all the things that are occupying your mind before you go to bed
- Take a warm bath before bed. It will relax your body, a few drops of lavender essential oil will relax your mind
- Avoid alcohol near bedtime – it causes you to wake up during the night
- Avoid eating late in the evening – a heavy meal too close to bedtime interferes with sleep
- Don’t exercise in the late evening – exercise relaxes muscles and aids sleep, but vigorous exercise just before bed may interfere with sleep
- Only go to bed only when you are feeling tired. Get out of bed if you can’t fall asleep within 10-15 minutes and return when you feel ready for sleep
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and avoid napping during the day – it keeps your biological clock going in the right direction
- Get continuous sleep. Identify the amount of sleep you need to be fully alert all day, and try to get that amount each night. Make up for lost sleep as soon as possible
- Make sure you have quality bedding – a good mattress and supportive pillows will do wonders for your sleep.